Mice often enter homes looking for safety, warmth, or food. They can quickly multiply and spread disease. Termites are notorious for wreaking havoc in homes by gnawing on wires, books, and toys, as well as contaminating food supplies by biting through plastic bags and containers kept in cabinets. Mice poop and pee are a breeding ground for bacteria and viruses, and they leave behind telltale signs of their presence. So, it becomes vital to know how to get rid of mice so that you don’t face any mess.
Mice Extermination Techniques
Mice have diminutive stature; mice are capable of squeezing through narrow openings. Even gaps as narrow as a quarter of an inch should be mended. If you have mice, it will be easier to get rid of them if you find out where they like to hide. Their presence can be deduced by the black faeces pellets they leave behind. Food should be kept out of these places and stored in non-chewable containers. You should be in touch with Rodent pest control service to keep yourself at the safer end.
Once you’ve identified your mice’s hiding spots, you can employ one of the following methods to get rid of them for good.
Get a cat
If there is no one in your household who is allergic to cats, getting a cat could very well be the simplest way to get rid of mice. If you don’t have access to a cat, you can purchase cat litter and place it in the areas where mice are most likely to congregate. This may serve as a dissuasive factor. Be sure to store cat litter somewhere that children can’t access it.
Use essential oils.
It appears that the potent odour of peppermint oil and clove oil is enough to deter mice. Saturate cotton balls with these essential oils and then place them in areas of the home that are known to be frequented by mice, such as drawers, cabinets, and entryways. Even though the smell on its own won’t be enough to get rid of mice entirely, it can be effective when combined with other strategies.
Set humane traps
Mice are able to escape from humane traps alive, allowing for their eventual release. Set up mouse traps in the parts of your home that are most frequently visited by mice, and make it a habit to check on them first thing in the morning. Nighttime is typically when mice venture out in search of food. Peanut butter, cheese, and buttered popcorn are some examples of tasty treats that mice find irresistible and can be lured to your home as a result. Make sure that any mice that you catch are released at least one mile away from your residence, and preferably not in an area that is inhabited. In order to avoid contracting any diseases and get rid of mice, avoid coming into direct contact with them.
You could try a solution with hot peppers
The use of poison baits might appear to be a simple solution; however, there is also the possibility of danger involved. Because poison can make animals and people in your home sick, it’s best to avoid using poisonous baits and treatments whenever possible. You might want to try a concentrated hot pepper solution. It should be sprayed in areas that are out of reach for children and animals, but are frequented by mice, such as behind cabinets or underneath the stove.
Construct your very own humane trap
You can make your own live traps that are easy to use if you are crafty and use items from around the house or anytime you can go for pest control for mice:
- Cup, wooden stick, and plastic bucket: Stick the cup onto the end of the stick, and then place the stick and cup assemblage across the open top of the bucket. Put some peanut butter on the cup so that it appears to be bait. The mouse needs to run out to the cup, and once it’s there, it needs to fall into the bucket. The mouse should be set free in the morning. When necessary, repeat.
- The coin is made of glass. Put one side of a large glass on top of an upright coin using peanut butter to stick to the inside of the glass. If you want the mouse to get the peanut butter, you should make it knock over the coin and get it stuck inside the glass when it comes in. It is necessary to repeat this process.
Steel wool should be used to fill in any empty spaces.
Steel wool should be stuffed into the narrow cracks and crevices where mice are most likely to be found. The inability of the rodents to chew on the steel wool, in addition to its unpleasant taste, will serve as a natural deterrent for the pest control mice.
Tape ductwork together to create a block.
Cover some of the entry points that mice are using with duct tape once you have identified some of the entry points that they are using, such as under your sink around the pipes or at the back of the cabinets where there are wires.
Get Rid of Mice & Risk of Future Infestations
Maintaining a clean home is the most effective method for warding off mouse infestations. Here are some tips for how to get rid of mice:
- Establish a policy that requires all meals to be consumed at the table.
- Keep dry goods like grains, seeds, beans, and flour in containers made of glass or metal instead than plastic.
- Finish the day by wiping down all of the eating and cooking surfaces. Clean the floor, including under furniture and around appliances, using a vacuum to remove any food particles that may have fallen there.
- After each meal, take the bowl of food away from your pet and close the pet food bags.
The professionals at Max Pest Control Melbourne are aware of the danger’s mice pose to your home, family, or business. We are trained pest control for mice professionals who can rid your property of mice quickly and efficiently.